Saturday, February 18, 2012

Tiny Present on Copper #1



Made a tiny bday gift for a friend today.

Collage on antique copper printing plate with encaustic and oil, 3 3/4" x 4 1/2," 2012

The constraint of the piece was that is was supposed to be a self-portrait, which is so far away from anything I'd ever think about that I was intrigued. So the copper plate is from some long-closed local industrial plant (story of my life here in the Hudson Valley); the target might refer to my fondness for Jasper Johns' work; the dictionary fragment might refer to the goal of artlessness in art; I'm a gardener and have jack-in-the-pulpits in our backyard; and the bullets came from my years in Highland when I lived near a gunclub and would sneak in to collect the spent casings when they were closed...

Have been thinking a lot lately (after conversations over the years with friends Geof Huth, Scott Helmes and Cynthia Winika) about how very small works of art can be very powerful because they are so undiluted spacewise. Schwitters, Diebenkorn's cigarbox tops, Cornell, Kahlo...

No comments:

Post a Comment