Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Colab with Scott Helmes



For the last 18 months, I've collaborated with the visual poet and architect Scott Helmes. He lives in St. Paul, Minnesota so we've collaborated via the USPS. Over that time, we completed about 60 pieces of textual/visual work. Scott and I "met" as a result of a 50th birthday celebration for our mutual friend, Geof Huth. Geof's wife Nancy put out a call for work to celebrate Geof's b-day, and then created a blog to show the work that feted Geof. I saw Scott's work on the blog, and promptly looked at all of his work I could find. His visual poems reference all sort of Japanese forms without overtly using any text - I was (am continually!) riveted.

Eighteen months later, some our "colab" (a word that is both "collaboration" and "co-laboratory") will be shown at the Gallery at R&F Handmade Paints, Kingston, NY in a group show called Snippets: Visual Text. If you don't know R&F Paints - visit their website. They are essential to our understanding and making of encaustic work in the 21st century. And they make glorious oilsticks that I often have to stop myself from wearing as lipstick.

If you're in the neighborhood, stop by the opening on Saturday, February 4, 2012 at 5pm. We'd love to see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment