Tuesday, August 2, 2011

After Usuyuki (small works on paper), 2008 - 2009







The two pieces above were the first After Usuyuki pieces I made, one being used at the cover for my second book of poetry.

After Usuyuki (2) - oil, pencil, and encaustic monotype on black drawing paper, 9" x 12", 2008



After Usuyuki (2 - but only 1 photo) - oil, pencil, and encaustic monotype on black Stonehenge paper, 11 1/2" x 15", 2008. The other piece this size was a gift to my friend and collaborator Scott Helmes.










After Usuyuki (4) - oil, pencil, ink, charcoal, chalk pastel, and encaustic monotype on Fabriano Rosapina paper, 10" x 14", 2008









After Usuyuki (4) - oil, pencil, ink, charcoal, and encaustic monotype on Rives lightweight paper, 10" x 13", 2008






(detail of above image)





After Usuyuki (4) - oil, pencil, ink, charcoal, and encaustic monotype on Stonehenge grey paper, 11 1/2" x 15", 2009









After Usuyuki (4) - oil, pencil, ink, charcoal, pastel and encaustic monotype on Rives de lin paper, 11 1/2" x 15", 2009





After Usuyuki (2) - oil, pencil, ink, charcoal, pastel and encaustic monotype on kitakata paper, 17" x 20 1/2", 2009

"Usuyuki" translates in Japanese to a very poetic "thin fall of snow." It's also the title of some pieces by Jasper Johns that use a particular "crosshatch" pattern (appropriated from a detail in a bedspread in an Edvard Munch painting). I couldn't apprehend the pattern, so I set out to repeat it in this work until I could, and then I kept going. In some ways, these pieces were a re-working/re-writing of I-Formation.

5 comments:

  1. Love the transformation of these. I never knew that detail about Johns' appropriated cross-hatch. Thank goodness he didn't do gazillions of little screaming faces facing this way and that, holding their hands to their ears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Here's a most-likely dumb question: what is a rope dancer? I picture a tightrope walker but that's probably not right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title of the blog comes from the title of a Man Ray painting at MOMA that I've loved since I was a little girl. It made me want to be a poet. You can google it and see the image. When I was a kid, it made perfect sense.

    As for the Munch detail? Yes, Johns would be much less famous if he picked another detail! No one would be interested if The Scream became the Tiny Repeated Yelps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, I love the way these finish in a gold orb -- Anne I hope I'll get to meet you on my next trip to the states -- I'm absolutely delighting in your and Lynn's works, feel the correspondence in these fluidly gestural works and like the interventions of colors that hit the right tones too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It would be great to meet you on your next visit! We're so pleased that you're part of the latest Peep/Show... Lynn and I have a longstanding conversation-about/quest-to-find writers we know who are involved in visual art as well as the textual, and where these combinations and intersections occur. That you are a collagist and object-maker, you'd understand, the text as medium as much as something like paint. Thanks, Laurie.

    ReplyDelete