Sunday, June 26, 2011

Safety Precautions







I made this encaustic piece in Fall 2010 for my friend (and fearless poet) Lynn Behrendt. My sister-in-law had given me bags of old library cards and they soak up encaustic medium in a perfect way. The fronts of the cards were not too exciting to me that day, so I flipped the cards over, pulled some random text from my husband's office that was laying around (happened to be some British car related list of "Safety Precautions"), and I typed some random stuff onto the backs of the cards. The encaustic medium transparentizes the library cards, so you can see traces of ghost text once the cards are soaked in wax. The cards just happened to fit onto a board I had lying around my studio. The text says things like "Always wear safety glasses" and "Be sure the ignition switch is in the off position" and "Keep hands and other objects clear." I used one of my favorite color combinations, indigo and gold (which reminds me of the sky and illuminated manuscripts), and rubbed oil paint into the incised lines.

Safety Precautions - encaustic, oil and collage on wood, 15" x 18", 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment